Translate

3.01.2010

Horror Movies Watched and Books Read (Feb 2010)

MOVIES

2/1 - Severed: Forest of the Dead (2006) **1/2
Tree loggers and activists turn into zombies due to an experiment gone wrong. Worth a look if you have time to kill.

2/3 - A Haunting in Connecticut (2009) ***
A solid horror movie with good emotions. I'm not exactly down with the final act, but there was a good build to it.

# Dollhouse, Season 2 (2009-2010) ****1/2
The majority of this season kicked ass and I'm pleasantly pleased with how it turned out. I feel like it the network would've the series alone from the beginning, this could have been an amazing series last more than two season. It would've worked even better on cable.

2/5 - They Wait (2007) **1/2
A decent flick about ghosts haunting a family in Shanghai.

2/7 - Jennifer's Body (2009) ***
People seem to be divided on this movie. They really liked it or hate it. I think the negativity is unjust. Sure it has some pitfalls, but overall this is a witty horror movie.

2/8 - Zombieland (2009) ****
An very funny and some what gory movie. I really, really enjoyed this one. Woody Harrelson kicked ass!

2/10 - Dead Wood (2007) *1/2
A group of young twenty year olds tangle with forest demons. I've seen this similar story done much better, many other times.

2/11 - Blame aka La Culpa (2006) ***
A decently creepy little tale about a woman who's may be haunted by her aborted fetus or at least by the guilt of having the procedure done.

2/12 - Saw VI (2009) ***
Another good to the Saw universe with some very cool and gory traps. Honestly though, isn't Jigsaw's story about completed?

2/13 - Halloween 2 (2009) *1/2
I like the way Rob Zombie writes dialog. But some of his other choices are mind boggling. I wasn't a fan of the remake, and like this one even less.

# Jekyll - (2007) ***
This British miniseries has unique and modern twist on the Jekyll & Hyde tale. It's definitely worth a look.

2/16 - The Chaos Experiment (2009) **1/2
A decent concept but the movie lacks anything to made it really stand out. It's not horrible, but you'll probably soon forget it. And is it just me, or does Val Kilmer still have moments where it seems like if he gave a shit he could better roles than these string of B movies?

2/19- Welcome to the Jungle (2007) *1/2
A very boring and talky take on classic Italian cannibal movies.

2/21 - Coming Soon (2008) ***
I'm usually not disappointed by horror movies I watch from Thailand. This one about a haunted movie is no exception.

2/22 - Dark Country (2009) **1/2
I wanted to like this movie, but the all too familiar plot makes it nothing better than average.

2/25 - Pandorum (2009) ***
A slightly above average sci fi/horror movie that starts out very strong but finishes a little weak.

2/27 - Dead Snow (2009) ****
Zombie Nazi attack a group of people in the Scandinavian mountains. Bloody, funny, and brings some new things to the table. The movie is a must see.

2/28 - Savage Harvest (1994) **
Director Eric Stanze has his fans. I admire his willingness to do whatever it takes to make a movie and I dont care about the low production values, but I have the same opinion about this movie as every one of his that I have seen. The story isn't bad, but horrible acting ruins it.


BOOKS

2012 by Whitley Strieber (incomplete)
Tried to get into the story, but about half way through gave up.

The Ignored by Bentley Little ****
I nearly quit this one after the first 120 pages, but I am glad that I didn't. Later you realize it all getting into the character's mindset before going full throttle into an amazing tale with many twists and turns.




Creative Commons License



Digg!


submit to reddit

No comments: