Translate

5.31.2011

Cable Free

A couple of weeks ago I received my cable/internet bill from Frontier Communications. There was an additional $50 added to the bill and labeled as "Premium TV Service". After spending time with customer service I found out that the additional charge is simply the new rate. To which I replied then why is the charge put on an additional line and labeled differently.

Then I began to do some web research. Apparently when Frontier bought FiOs from Verizon, they did not want it for TV; only internet. This hike is their way of getting people to drop the service and milking extra cash out of the ones who dont before they drop the service.

Right then I decided that I will cancel Frontier as my cable provider. I am not paying that much for TV. In my area of Fort Wayne this leaves few choices. Comcast, DirectTV, Dish Network, or nothing. I've had issues four years ago with Comcast with is why I went to Verizon. And with the satellites their always the "weather" issue.

So I've decided come June I am going cable free. Over the air antennea and the internet shall be my form of entertainment. I figured up the shows I watch on a regular basis and most are streamed in Hulu.com, Netflix, or their own websites relatively soon after broadcast. For the things which are not, like on Travel Channel and Adult Swim, I'll have to wait. For a few others, such as WWE RAW, it will be goodbye for now.

I will miss the DVR and cable but I shall survive. I'll see how it goes for the summer. When football season starts it may decesion.




Creative Commons License Digg! submit to reddit

No comments: