Translate

6.09.2013

Favorite Albums Part Duex

In case you missed the first ten on list, then go check it out. All the criteria is there that I used to create the list.
Here is part two...


Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica (2000)

This was the album which introduced me to the group Modest Mouse and their unique sound. The twinging guitar and haunting lyrics of "3rd Planet" sets up a great ride until it fades out at the end.


Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (1971)

I enjoy many Stones songs, but only a couple of their complete albums (Let It Bleed being the other). This is the one of the excpetions. For me, in mainly hinders on the trio of songs which end the album "Sister Morphine", "Dead Flowers", and "Moonlight Mile"



Pearl Jam - Ten (1991)

I was seventeen and working in one of the local grocery stores in my home town when one of the managers, who happened to be the bosses son and only a few years older than me, told me about this album and gave me his CD to listen to. It blew me away and yet not many around the area had heard it yet. Forward a year later and I am freshman in college. The album had exploded into the masses. It was being played every where at Ball State. While I enjoy all of the groups effort, Ten will always be my favorite because of the nostaglic memories it brings with songs like "Black" and "Garden".


Tenacious D - Tenacious D (2001)

Some may think this is an odd choice and only view it as a comedy album. But I would disagree. This album is pure rock with hysterical lyrics. The way Gass and Black change rhytms in the middle of songs creates a masterful blend of acoustic, classic, and metal guitar riffs. And where else could you find the greatest song in the world...."Tribute".



The Black Keys - El Camino (2011)

The Black Keys are a group with a distintive and miminal sound. And they just keep getting better with every album released, which seems to become my new favorite by them. That is why El Camino has made list. From the Zeppelinesque "Little Black Submarines" to "Gold On the Ceiling" listening to these songs never get old.


Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R (2000)
 
Here a fact. QoSA is one my all time favorite bands. I could have easily putany of their albums on this list. after careful evalution this is the album. The heavy bass sounds, typical of all Queens material, resonates with me or may be it's all the lyrics about sex and drugs. "Auto Pilot", "Leg of Lamb", "In the Fade", and "The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret" are all classics.


Aerosmith - Get Your Wings (1974)

I'm not sure there was a better rock group in the mid 70's than Aerosmith. It was a very close call between Toys in the Attic and  the sophomore effort narrowly wins it for me. Mainly due to the strength of "Seasons of Wither".


Run DMC - Raising Hell (1986)

This record has the distinction of being the only one album I ever bought on vinyl, cassette, and CD. That is how much I listened to it back in the day. As far as I am concerned it is one of the greatest and most instrumental rap albums ever made. Heavy rock samples, smooth rhymes, and a the classic collaboration with Aerosmith on the "Walk This Way" remake are the reason why.


Dead Man's Bones - Dead Man's Bones (2009)

Here is an album you may have never even heard of and it's the brain child of actor Ryan Gosling. There's a unique and old style sound in the music combined with haunting lyrics in songs titles like "Dead Man's Bones", "Lose Your Soul", "My Body's a Zombie for You", and "In the Room Where You Sleep". Definitely one to check out if you never have.


Kings of Leon -  Youth and Young Manhood (2003)

Some groups come out of the gate strong but never quite get back to the same level. While I like all of their albums, I feel KOL fall into that category. Their debut is masterful with one great song after another. And does it get any better than "Holy Roller Novacaine". I dont think so.



Part three coming soon...


Creative Commons License
Observation of An Illogical mind by Sean Kimmel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://www.seankimmel.com.
Please feel free to share the link but contact me for any other uses or publication. Thanks.

No comments: