Translate

8.26.2013

Favorite Albums (number four)

It's starting to get very tough deciding who makes the cut. Here are the next ten on list (find the other three posts in past threads).



The Who - Who's Next (1971)

I enjoy The Who a lot and dont believe they get quite the same recognition as some of their English counterparts from the same era. Daltry, Townsend, Moon, and Eitewistle made could be their best work and my personal favorite. But this album isn't just about the songs which became hits like "Wont Get Fooled Again", "Baba O'Riley", and "Behind Blue Eyes". The real power lines between those tracks with "Love Aint For Keeping", "Bargain", and others. For my money, this is a near perfect rock album.


Alice In Chains - Dirt (1992)
 
While Alice In Chains debut album blew me away, it was their sophomore effort Dirt which solidified them as one of my favorite bands. The moody guitars riffs of Jerry Cantrell combined with intense vocal stylings of Layne Staley crooning about addiction and death, both of which he and the band were going through. And you hear the pain comes through the speakers on the songs "Dirt", "Rain When I Die", and "Down In A Hole".


The Cult - Sonic Temple (1989)
 
Probably the band's best known and most successful album, it's the one which made me become of fan (and my friend Dave). The first six songs are as strong as any rock album of the era: "Sun King", "Fire Woman", "American Horse", "Edie (Ciao Baby)", "Sweet Soul Sister", and "Soul Asylum". Ian Astbury rarely gets the credit he deserves for vocals and lead guitarist Billy Duffy is also highly under rated.



Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads (1996)

Nick Cave possesses one of the coolest voices in all of music. He also writes some of most bad ass and interesting lyrics one can imagine. I like many of his albums but Murder Ballads is my favorite. I find it facsinating one can croon along with a sweet melody while pouring out such violent and disturbing lyrics. Make no mistake this album is all about death, murder, and violence. Songs like "Where the Wild Roses Grow" and "Stagger Lee". There is only one Nick Cave and if you have never listened to his music, then you are in for a ride.


Father John Misty - Fear Fun (2012)

Though this album came out in 2012, I didn't discover it until the spring of 2013 (shortly before I started this list) and since then I have listened to it over and over again. And I have yet to grow tired of even one song that tells sad and beautiful and strange tales. "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings", "Nancy From Now On", and "I'm Writing A Novel" are just a few of the great songs on this album which gets better after every play.


Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986)

For pure, heavy, balls out, loud metal there is no album greater for me than Master of Puppets. The title song, "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)", "Damage Inc." got me pumped up for my share of football games in high school. At least during my sophomore year, which is when I discovered this little gem and dove head first into the world of Metallica.


White Stripes - Elephant (2003)

I've mentioned how much of a Jack White fan I am before, so to find a White Stripes album on this list should be no surprise. I could have truly put any of their albums on the list but I believe Elephant is their best one. "Seven Nation Army" never gets tiredsome (even though its turned into something of a sports anthem for many teams), "In the Cold, Cold, Night", "I Just Dont Knoe What To Do With Myself", "Ball and a Biscuit", and "Hardest Button To Button" are a few of the stripped down greatest one can find here.


Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

It's no shock to find the "album which shaped a generation" on my list, since I am part of the generation. My senior year in high school, this album exploded onto the scene and I listened to it. A lot. While I liked the other dubbed Seattle grunge bands better than Nirvana, there is no denying the pure power and catchy rhymes found on timeless classics like "Lithium", "On A Plain", and the one that started it all "Smells Like Teen Spirit".


OutKast - Stankonia (2000)

Like many this is album which introduced me to Andre 3000 and Big Boi's unique mesh of hip hop. The two distinct and different vocals over kicking bass guitar and drums with a dash all sorts of funkiness makes"Sorry Miss Jackson", "B.O.B", and others still pack a powerful punch.


Def Leppard - Hysteria (1987)

During the late 80's after this albm came out, one would have hard pressed to find a more popular band than Def Leppard. It takes me back to early teens years just before entering high school which are mostly cloudy, obscure memories. Some of the songs have aged a tad and some of the lyrics are really out there. I mean have you ever really listened to the words in "Pour Some Sugar On Me". Still the songs "Hysteria", "Animal", and "Love and Affection" bring a smile to face and a bang to my heart. I guess that is why it made the list.


Only ten more to go....




Creative Commons License
Observation of An Illogical mind by Sean Kimmel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://www.seankimmel.com.
Please feel free to share the link but contact me for any other uses or publication. Thanks.

No comments: