Translate

10.28.2010

My Favorite Creature Movies

Monstrous creatures have always been the backbone of horror movies.
Here are my 8 favorites.



* The Thing (1982)
The Thing (Collector's Edition)
My all time favorite horror movie. Period. The movie is chalked full of tension, testosterone, abandoned hope, and incredible special effects. I'm not sure there is a single flaw in this flick. I may go watch it right now.


* Frankenstein (1931)
Frankenstein (Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection)
Another staple of the old time Universal horror lot. Boris Karloff brings humanity to a creation of a mad scientist. I think this is a beautiful movie where the horror lies in the outcome of "the monster".


* The Descent (2206)
The Descent (Original Unrated Cut) [Widescreen Edition]
If you want to talk about suspense, then look no further. You dont even need the crawling creatures to make this claustrophobic nightmare intense. This movie once again affirms, when humans are face in dire straits, they will commit horrific actions to survive.


* Tremors (1990)
Tremors
A nice throwback to the 50's monster movies. This giant, carnivore worm flick is just a fun ride. And Fred Ward kicks ass!


* Alien (1979)
Alien (The Director's Cut)
With one of the most iconic scenes in horror, when the alien comes bursting out of Kane's chest, I had to jump at least two feet in the air. I loved the flick from my first viewing. This is such a great movie.


* Jaws (1975)
Jaws (30th Anniversary Edition)
This film sparked my interest in sharks and sparked movie studios interest in find the blockbuster. And for that reason it will always hold a place in film history. But it's still a fine movie with great actors, direction, and quite a few jumps.


* The Mist (2007)
The Mist
I'm not sure what's scarier: a thick mist that limits your vision to only a few inches, the creatures lurking in the mist, or the people trapped in the store who turn on each other in name of a religion. I find it all frightening. Also contains one of the biggest "holy shit endings" in horror movie history.


* Wolfen (1981)
Wolfen
A werewolf movie that's turns the myth on upside down. Wolf like creatures stalk prey in NYC and it's up to a detective to find out what the cause is.





Creative Commons License Digg! submit to reddit

No comments: