Translate

10.25.2010

My Favorite Slasher Movies

Two sub-genres today. Slashers and Serial Killers. Now I know most people will this them as the same thing. Well, I do not and he reason is simple: For me slashers contain some sort of supernatural or unexplainable element to the slaughter while serial killers are the sociopaths & legit psychopaths of the world. They are terrifying all by themselves.

So without future ado, my 8 favorite slasher flicks.



* Halloween (1978)
Halloween
The movie that introduced Michael Myers and the final girl will always have a place close to my heart. Very suspenseful and the blood flies when it needs to.


* Nightmare of Elm Street (1984)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
This first movie is so damn creepy. I remember watching this with my fingers plugging my ears half the time, then not ever wanting to go to sleep again. Cut me some slack, I was twelve. Freddy Kruger is my favorite slasher of the 80's.


* Suspiria (1977)
Suspiria (2-Disc Special Edition)
I will go on record as stating Dario Argento is one of my favorite directors and this wrapped vision is his masterpiece. There are so many freaky things in this movie.


* Candyman (1992)
Candyman
After watching this flick, did you immediately run to the mirror and say Candyman, Candyman, Ca --- then chicken out? I did, because I'm not going to get taken out by some ghost with a razor hook. Parts of this movie frightens the hell out of me. Maybe it's the music, may be it's actor Tony Todd portrayal.


* Haute Tension: Switchblade Romance (2003)
High Tension (Unrated Widescreen Edition)
I'm still not sure I understand this movie completely, but man does it have style. There's plenty of tension and hostility to go around. This movie will keep you on the edge of your seat.


* Evil Dead Trap (1988)
Evil Dead Trap
This is one messed up movie from Japan. It's like a David Lynch-Takeshi Miike soup! a reporter receives a videotape which looks like a snuff film. Her crew goes to an abandoned warehouse to investigate. Then things get really weird...and gory.


* Hellraiser
Hellraiser
There's only one sure way not to see Pinhead and the Cennobites. Dont play with the damn puzzle box. Good for us horror hounds that people just aren't that smart. A bloody good time at the movies with one of the best one liners every, "Jesus wept".


* Dust Devil (1992)
Dust Devil - The Final Cut (Limited Collector's Edition)
Director Richard Stanely doesn't make many non-documentary films, which is a shame because his movies are unique. This tale about a shape shifting serial killer (played by Robert Burke) may be slightly uneven at times but more than makes up for it with imagery and atmosphere.





Creative Commons License Digg! submit to reddit

No comments: