Translate

10.09.2010

My Favorite Vampire Movies

October. The month of scares is upon us. And like many of fellow horror hounds, it gives us 31 days to celebrate our love for the gory, macabre, & frightening.

This year I'm not going to undertake a massive 31 Days of posts, like last year, I feel the need to post something. So I've decided to break down categories of horror movies and give my favorites in each. Not necessarily the ones I feel are the best ever, but those closest to my blackened heart.

The first up is a genre staple, vampires (and not the glimmering type either). My 8 personal favorites in no particular order.


- Dracula (1931)
Dracula (Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection)
The classic movie starring the most recognizable vampire as only Bela Lugosi could play him. The thick accent, slicked back hair, and intimidating eyes all added to create the modern visual of what the Count should look like. The movie is perfect with it's incredible set designs and shadowy lighting. I feel in love with this from the first time I watched it as youngster.


- Near Dark (1987)
Near Dark
A vampire-action-western shouldn't work, in theory, but in the hands of Katherine Bigelow it certainly does. Even with the great, over the top acting of Bill Paxton and Lance Henerickson the film never goes into the hookey territory. Bigelow owns this film and every scene serves a purpose. Best of all, it puts a new spin on the old vampire legend.


- Let the Right One In (2008)
Let The Right One In
I was simply blown away by this movie. It is beautifully shot in the dark, snowy landscape of Norway. And again, the tale puts a unique spin on the vampire tale. It's subdued nature creeps under your skin. I am still amazed at the two lead child actors. An amazing achievement in film.


- From Dusk Til Dawn (1996)
From Dusk Til Dawn
Pure campy entertainment brought to you by the masters Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino. The first half focusing on fugitives running from the law is awesome, then it takes a bold 180 turn into action-horror when they land in strip club full of vamps. Chalked full of the greatness you expect from these two, it's a cant miss.


- Lifeforce (1985)
Lifeforce
An odd choice, I know. Space vampires. The premise is kind of outrageous, but I remember watching as a teen and always remembered this as being a superb movie. Maybe it was the fully nude Matilda May the burned in my memory. Years later after watching it again, the movie was confirmed as be a unique and under rated film by horror master Tobe Hooper.


- Fright Night (1985)
Fright Night
One of the great vampire movies of all time. Chris Sarandon is perfect. Roddy McDowell is outstanding. And it's just an extremely fun movie. I dare you to tell me the first time Amy is revealed as a vampire that you didn't nearly soil yourself. You lie.


- Horror of Dracula (1958)
Horror of Dracula
How can I not put the incredible duo of Christopher Lee as Dracula and Peter Cushing as Van Helsing on this list. They are simply the best. And this is my favorite of the Hammer Studio vamp movies. Love the red eyes.


- The Lost Boys (1987)
The Lost Boys
Another movie from my teen years. This almost made being a vampire seem hip & cool. The flick doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it's makes for a damn fun way to wipe out ninety minutes.


- Nosferatu (1929)
Nosferatu
Quite simply, the most disturbing looking vampire ever. Case closed. A silent movie that is extremely creepy. German Expressionism at it's finest.




Creative Commons License Digg! submit to reddit

No comments: