Translate

10.30.2010

My Favorite "Pure Terror" Movies

This is sort of a potpourri category which contains movies that dont quite fit into the other categories. One thing they all have in common: each one filled me with pure terror and horror when I fist watched it. Here are my final eight.



* Martyrs (2008)
Martyrs
This is one of the most talked horror movies of the last decade. It is absolutely brutal to watch. When a film makes me physically uncomfortable, I consider it something special. Again, the links human will go in the name of a god never seems to astonish me.


* Session 9 (2001)
Session 9
I find Brad Anderson to be one of most under rated directors working today. His movies are nothing short of brilliant. This one is about an asbestos removal crew cleaning up an old psychiatric hospital. Nothing here is as it seems as this strange place begins to take a toll on the workers. A tension filled movie.


* Phantasm (1979)
Phantasm
The Tall Man and his silver balls full of jacked up blades and tiny minions. This is the one which started all the weirdness. Creepy is an understatement.


* Audition (1999)
Audition: Collector's Edition
This Takashi Miike movie is an execution in the slow burning bizarre. The first third of the film things are very...well, boring and mundane. Then we find out the sweet, wholesome woman is anything but nice. Chills go up my spine just thinking about the piano wire scene.


* Inside (2007)
Inside (Unrated)
Another French movie on the countdown, this one about a woman who will do anything to get an unborn child from a the soon to be mother. I cannot even phantom something like this occurring me.


* The Devil's Rejects (2005)
The Devil's Rejects (Unrated Widescreen Edition)
Again when I film makes me uncomfortable watching, it's doing something right. The motel scene where the Firefly clan is torturing the two couples does just that. I remember several people leaving the theater when this was happening. A very good movie which shows why Rob Zombie should be making movies (unlike his recent outings).


* Videodrome (1983)
Videodrome (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
James Woods is on the search for answers as he gets deeper into a bizarre mystery known as "The New Flesh". The imagery in this movie freaks me out. He gets a video tape inserted into his chest. Director David Cronenberg has never been better.


Frailty (2002)
Frailty
A multi layered tale which has Bill Paxton killing demons masked as people as told to him by God. His two young sons try to make sense of it all. A fantastic flick which has you guessing, and freakeded out, until the end credits.





Creative Commons License Digg! submit to reddit

No comments: