Translate

10.25.2010

My Favorite Serial Killer Movies

Again, I'm listing serial killers as a completely different category than slasher pics for reasons previously stated. These movies are about straight up psychopaths. No supernatural elements needed.

Here are my 8 favorites.


* Silence of the Lambs (1991)
The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter)
Hannibal Lecter is one of the best movie villains of all time and Anthony Hospkins portrays him chillingly. The actions between him and Jodie Foster as Clarisse are simply magic. A top notch film.


* Psycho (1960)
Psycho (Collector's Edition)
Alfred Hitchcock changed the horror game when he introduced Norman Bates to celluloid. Now, the worst monsters could be those living right next door. Fifty years old and packed full of tension. The master director at his best.


* Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer (20th Anniversary)
To this day, every time I see actor Michael Rooker my mind immediately associates him with this role of this sociopath. He's that good in the movie, which at times is excruciating to watch and very uncomfortable.


* Kalifornia (1993)
Kalifornia
An awesome cast which sees David Duchony & his wife Michelle Forbes traveling the country researching serial killers for a book, they pick up Brand Pitt (in an outstanding performance) & Julliette Lewis not knowing they are in fact killers themselves. Maybe it's a guilty pleasure, but everything in this movie just clicks for me.


* Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2-Disc Ultimate Edition)
Good ole Leatherface himself. A horror classic in every sense of the word. I love the scene with the family dinner.


* Friday the 13th (1980)
Friday the 13th Uncut (Deluxe Edition)
Before Jason came around and took the franchise into the slasher realm, Mother Vorhees was wiping frisky camp counselors. And who doesn't love seeing Kevin back get an arrow pierced through the throat.


* American Psycho (2000)
American Psycho (Uncut Killer Collector's Edition)
I'll be honest. The first time I watched the movie, I didn't care for it. Then I read the Brent Eaton Ellis novel and watched it again. Now I think it's nothing short of brilliant and a great adaptation. Dark comedy abounds as Christian Bale tows the fine line between campy and horrific as Patrick Bateman. You'll think of the song "Hip To Be Square" in the same light again.


* Saw
Saw
The best installment of the series rarely has the mastermind Jigsaw in it. I remember watching this in the theater and squirming at these incredible killing devices. Then I was absolutely blown away by the ending. Amazing story telling.





Creative Commons License Digg! submit to reddit

No comments: